There are a few new Mel Trotter-related billboards popping up around town. They look like this:
What is compassion demonstrated? What are seeds of transformation?
In our 2015 annual report, Gordon Oosting, the president of Mel Trotter Ministries’ board of directors, describes compassion demonstrated like this:
To be compassionate is to hold another person’s pain in our hearts. It is to feel the ravages of addiction. It is to swallow the scourge of disease. It is to suffer the misery of the marginalized. It is to endure the ache of hunger, the agony of homelessness, and the anguish of hurt. But compassion also incites action and motivates us to help, to give, to lift and to love, to pray and to support. Just as Jesus Christ did. He sought out the marginalized. He turned toward the poor. He loved those who were hard to love. He forgave without getting even. He welcomed the outlier. He took up the cross.
Our mission is to demonstrate the compassion of Jesus Christ to the hungry, homeless, and hurting in the Greater Grand Rapids area.
One of the ways we do this is through Seeds of Transformation.
What are our Seeds of Transformation?
These are the seven things we’d like our guests to have, to experience, to know before leaving Mel Trotter Ministries.
- Sustainable Income – Our team helps guests obtain meaningful employment, while engaging them in financial counseling, budgeting, and financial planning.
- Education – Guests complete their GEDs (or progress in them) and participate in Mel Trotter, college, or adult learning classes and computer training.
- Faith – Guests learn about and experience the compassion of Jesus Christ and develop a relationship with Him. They find a church home and learn about discipleship.
- Transportation – Our team helps guests obtain a driver’s license or begin to use public transportation. We also provide them with an auto voucher.
- Permanent Housing – Our team focuses on finding permanent housing for guests.
- Wholeness – Our team works with guests to help them recover from addiction. We also provide dental, vision, and medical care, as well as legal guidance.
- Community Support – Guests are connected to churches, Alcoholics Anonymous groups, support groups, and their families to ensure continued success and recovery after their stay at Mel Trotter Ministries.
These “seeds” ensure our guests know and experience the love of Jesus Christ.
They ensure #compassiondemonstrated.
How can you be part of giving our guests these Seeds of Transformation? How can you get involved? There are plenty of ways. Contact Jessica, our volunteer coordinator, to learn more! Email email@example.com.