At Mel Trotter Ministries, we enjoy serving unique and nutritious meals to the guests that walk through our doors. Our kitchen staff is bringing you into the kitchen with them and sharing their Cream of Asparagus Soup recipe that you can serve at home.
- 2 pounds green asparagus
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 to 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- Cut tips from 12 asparagus
- 1 1/2 inches from top and halve tips lengthwise if thick. Reserve for garnish.
- Cut stalks and all remaining asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add 5 cups broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes, then drain.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth, transferring to a bowl (use caution when blending hot liquids), and return to pan. Stir in crème fraîche, then add more broth to thin soup to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil and whisk in remaining tablespoon butter.
- Add lemon juice and garnish with asparagus tips
Mention Mel Trotter Ministries or tag us on social media with your pictures of the soup!